Thursday, April 30, 2009

Meteor Melinda

"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me
in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time."
- Jack London

I read this quote and somehow my thoughts went off at a tangent to those brain-dead patients who are being kept alive by machines.

What's the point in living if you're being kept alive by a machine? What is so alive about that?

That's why I'm a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) proponent and I am definitely against the use of any machinery to keep me alive. At my age, I don't believe in prolonging the agony for myself and my loved ones. I also don't believe my loved ones should be wasting all that money that would be better channeled to those who are living. If it's God's will that I should live then I shall live, with or without the machine.

After all as Christians, what is there to fear about death?

Having said that, and in case you think I'm getting morbid, let me end with:

Dum loquimur, fugerit invida
Aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

- Horace, in Odes Book I

which translates as:

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: seize the day, put no trust in the future.

Yes, let's seize the day, and live! And when it's time to go, let's go!

Kazoom! I'm a meteor.

No comments: