Sunday, August 11, 2013

Raya Break 2013

I had the loveliest and most wonderful Raya break ever. 

We didn't go anywhere at all. Most of my time was spent at home, doing the things that I don't have the time and energy to do on normal days. I can totally understand why people look forward to retirement.

I managed to cook two meals, one a nondescript meal to eat with rice and the other which is spaghetti in beef bolognese sauce. Hubby loved the spaghetti. His only complaint, "Why no cheese?" His absent-minded cook forgot all about the cheese. :(


Spaghetti in Beef Bolognese Sauce

And I even drummed up enough enthusiasm to bake a Carrot Walnut Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting for my birthday. That's my 4th birthday cake this year. 


A healthy cake full of carrots and walnuts and covered
with the most delicious lemon cream cheese frosting

I love birthdays and birthday cakes. No birthday is complete without a birthday cake and I cannot have enough of birthday cakes. Sometimes I think that I am worse than a kid. Could this be a sign of second childhood?

Anyway, back to my lack of enthusiasm for cooking. It's the thought of waking up early to go to the market before going to the office that is the greatest demotivating factor whenever I start toying with the idea of cooking anything. 

And the thought of all the washing up would totally squelch whatever spark of interest that remains. It's not that I don't like to cook. I enjoy cooking but not slogging for two hours or more after a tired day to serve a meal that is eaten in 15 minutes. That doesn't make sense at all and thank God, Hubby understands. 

But on holidays I have ample time to go marketing, do all the preparation and cooking as well as the washing up without running out of time or energy. Since it is difficult to cook such small portions for two persons I ended up cooking more and freezing portions for another day. Hah! How's that for killing two birds with one stone?

Best of all, the holidays gave me time to catch up on some posts that are way, way overdue on my blog. Unfortunately some had to be discarded because the event was over and done with so long ago that it had lost much, if not all, of its oomph. 

But do you know what was the one thing that made this Raya break extra-special? There was some badminton championship being played out in Guangzhou and so, except for half-a-day that he spent in the office, Hubby the spent the whole Raya break with me at home. I am so happy to have him home with me even though it's badminton that got most of his attention. 

No comments: