Saturday, November 23, 2013

In Search Of A Cake To Bash

I am totally bushed from running all over town looking for a plain vanilla sponge cake covered with plain white fresh cream cream for Grandson to bash on his first birthday.

Nowadays people are so sophisticated that the plain vanilla sponge cake has been shunted off the shelf in almost all the cake shops I went to. Taking its place are its more glamorous and well-dressed cousins such as the Tiramisu, Black Forest, Cheescake, Opera, etc.  

Somehow the chocolate sponge cake managed to hold on to its tenuous distinction of being the standard no-frills birthday cake in one or two shops. Maybe that's because it is not as plain as its vanilla sister. 

In one shop, when I insisted on a half kilogram plain vanilla sponge cake, I was told that I must pre-order and that the minimum size for the cake must be 1 kg. Is the demand for plain vanilla sponge that low that it is no longer feasible for the bakery to make a half kilogram cake?

Thank God! I eventually found a shop selling mini sponge cakes at RM12 each but they have all been decorated. The least decorated one was a chocolate sponge cake with plain white fresh cream and a few cherries for decoration which we could remove to leave a plain white cake. 

It was a dilemma for me. Chocolate inside and plain white on the outside after we have discarded the cherries, or vanilla cake inside with fresh cream and some colourful decorations on the outside?

When Grandma is undecided, ask the Mommy. So, after consultation and a FaceTime session with 'bee, she decided on a plain vanilla sponge cake with some decorations that are quite appropriate for a little boy's first birthday cake. 

Finally, Grandson has a cake to bash on his birthday. :) 

At this point in time, I don't think I will have the energy to do this for my other grandchildren on their first birthdays. Despite the daunting thought, I know I will do it for all my grandchildren as long as the Lord enables me to. After all, that's what Grandmothers are for.  

After all the trouble I went to I cannot resist giving you a sneak peek of the cutest cake ever. Although it looks big in this cropped partial shot, the whole cake could actually fit into the palm of my hands!



No comments: